As an international student you must enrol in each compulsory term and pass a standard full-time load of 48 credit points in each academic year to successfully complete your course within the duration of your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). It is your responsibility to ensure you meet this requirement and enrol as directed by the University.
If you have not completed your studies by the end date on your CoE, under the ESOS Act, the National Code 2018 allows the University to issue you with a new CoE in 3 circumstances:
» Intervention strategy in place and conditions met
» Approved leave of absence
» Compassionate or compelling circumstances (independent document will be required)
If you require a new CoE, meet one of these situations and you have complied with the Full-Time Study - Duration of Study Policy and Procedure, please submit the CoE Extension Application eForm. The Student Engagement Team will assess your application and provide an outcome to your student email address. Please note, most requests cannot be processed until results have been released for the current term.
If you wish to change your course, you must successfully pass at least one unit in your current course before your application will be assessed. You must also be applying to change into a course that is at the same level as your current course. If you are wanting to downgrade to a lower level course, please contact International Admissions.
To apply for a Change of Course, you will need to submit a new application via the Online International Admissions System by 5pm on the Monday of Week 1 of the term in which you want to change. Late applications are not accepted. When completing your application, ensure you select the box indicating this is a Change of Course application. Your application will be assessed in accordance with the entry requirements of your nominated course and if successful, you will be issued with a Letter of Admission. You must accept the offer and be issued with your CoE before you can enrol in your new course. Please note, the last day to enrol in units (Friday of Week 2 of term) also applied to Change of Course students.
It may be possible for you to transfer to one of our other campuses depending on which course you are studying. Before submitting a Campus Transfer Application, ensure your course is offered at your nominated campus (check the Student Handbook) and all your fees are paid. Campus Transfers are not guaranteed, therefore it is important to submit your application and receive an outcome before moving to the new city. Applications must be submitted by 5pm on Monday of Week 1 of the term in which you wish to transfer.
Leave of absence
International students studying in Australia on a student visa may be eligible for Leave of Absence (LOA) in compassionate or compelling circumstances. To be eligible for a LOA, you must have been enrolled for at least one term and successfully completed units within your course and be able to demonstrate medical grounds of exceptional circumstances.
If you believe you meet this criteria, you will need to submit the following documentation to the Student Engagement Team on your campus prior to Census Date for the term in which you wish to apply for leave:
- Completed Leave of Absence Request Form
- supporting documentation which confirms your medical or compelling situation
- copy of your departure flight ticket (students can only remain in Australia while they are on a Leave of Absence if they are medically unfit to travel and have a medical certificate confirming this)
Please note, it is mandatory that you submit your request in person at your campus. We will not accept Leave of Absence Applications via email unless you are physically unable to visit the campus (ie you are in hospital or not in the country). We also recommend you be enrolled in units for the current term in case your LOA is denied.
Cancelling your enrolment
Before you cancel your enrolment at CQUniversity, you are encouraged to speak with a member of the Student Engagement Team to discuss your options. If, after discussing your situation, you wish to proceed with cancelling your course, you will need to submit the Cancellation of Course form and required supporting documentation to the Student Engagement Team on your campus so your cancellation can be finalised. After your Cancellation of Course is processed, your CoE will also be cancelled.
Cancellation applications must be submitted by the last day to add units for the term in which you wish to cancel, otherwise you will be cancelled and reported for non-enrolment. It is your responsibility to contact the Department of Home Affairs and discuss the implications of your cancellation on your student visa.
Letter of release
As a student visa holder, you cannot transfer from CQUniversity to another education provider within the first 6 months of commencing your study, unless you have been granted a release by CQUniversity. If you are considering applying for a Student Request for Release, please speak with a member of the Student Engagement Team to discuss your situation before you submit your application. Please note, applications must be submitted in person before the last day to add units for the term in which you wish to be released.
Online Enrolment Request Forms
As part of managing your enrolment, you may need to submit an enrolment related form through MyCentre. The most common forms submitted by international students are:
- International Under-Enrolment Request - you would submit this form to request an enrolment of less than 24 credit points in a compulsory term. Your request will be assessed by the Course Advice Team and an outcome sent to your student email account. Please note, you will not be permitted to enrol in less than 18 credit points in a compulsory term.
- Request for over-enrolment - this form is used to request permission to undertake more than a standard study load (more than 24 credit points). Your request will be assessed by the Course Advice Team in consultation with your Head of Course to determine if you meet the requirements for an over-enrolment. The outcome will be sent to your student email account.
- Request a requisite waiver - you would use this form to request a waiver of a pre-requisite to be able to enrol in a unit. Your request will be assessed by the Course Advice Team in consultation with your Head of Course and the outcome will be sent to your student email account.
- Deferred Exam request - this form is used to request a deferred exam if you are unable to attend a standard exam due to exceptional circumstances for medical, health or disability reasons. The form must be submitted within 5 working days from the scheduled standard exam and you must submit independent supporting documentation with your request (ie doctor’s certificate, death certificate, etc).
- Request to change exam centre - this form is used to request a change in your exam centre (ie if you need to return home before you can sit your exam).